Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Friday, February 04, 2005

Driving under the influence



In a recent comment, Alice gently reminded me that my ongoing illness may be my body trying to tell me something, and that I might consider taking it easy. Of course she was right.

One of my little boys favorite activities is having me drag him through the snow on a little sled. Wednesday morning I took him for a slide walk and his whoops and laughter drove me to greater and greater efforts and all told I pulled him for about four miles.

Wednesday evening I crawled into bed feeling horrible and didn't rouse till 11am the next day. My lungs were congested and I was feeling guilty at letting a beautiful sunny day go unappreciated, so I hit on the idea of relaxing in my nice comfy car seat. I showered, grabbed my camera, and oh so slowly lumbered to my vehicle.

I drove south a couple hours across the snow swept prairies, then turned west to follow a river valley. The exposed rock contrasted with brilliantly lit white snow and I drove in happy appreciation. Twice I spotted hawks and painfully exited the car to try to take photos but I moved too slowly and they flew off to distant perches.

Another hour brought me to the Mississippi and I turned northward. The bluffs of the upper Mississippi are an endless wonder to me and even though I've seen them hundreds of times they always bring me joy. Sun set as I was driving along the shores of Lake Pepin and I stood on a cliff and basked in the slowly darkening glow.

I drove home under stars to be greeted by my little boy, then ended the day with another series of short conversations with TB.




Sickness and all, I couldn't have wished for a better day.

6 Comments:

  • At 3:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    *sniff...I love those kind of days. It's a great feeling being a parent!
    Hula Doula
    http://www.huladoula.thezeroboss.com

     
  • At 9:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sounds like a lovely day...

    the photos were serene and comforting. i hope as each day passes, you feel better.

    ~alice

     
  • At 2:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is Douglas from Belief Seeking Understanding. Would you like to be part of the Minnesota Organization of Bloggers? Most of us are in the Twin Cities, but we have some bloggers from as far north as St. Cloud.

     
  • At 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Lovely pictures mw!

    And yes, it's nice to realise that seemingly the simplest things can make us most happy :)

    Lovely post!

    -anna

     
  • At 5:34 PM, Blogger whispers said…

    MW, your words paint heartfelt pictures. I hope you feel better soon
    Cris

     
  • At 5:56 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Hi Alice and Cris - thank you for the kind wishes and I'm happy to report they worked. I'm fully restored and feel wonderful again.

    Anna, Karen, and Hula Doula - Thank you!

    Douglas - If you read earlier in my blog you will probably understand my need to stay anonymous. Thank you for the invitation anyway.

    mw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home