Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Monday, January 24, 2005

River run

Late last week I ventured to the near wild for a walk in the dark. The night was overcast and newly fallen snow lay inches deep along the trail. I walked in altered state from high fever and shortness of breath and the trail and trees wobbled and twisted as I walked.

I dropped to the river following a three quarter mile ravine, tapping poles and gently feeling with the soles of my feet. The trail looped back riverside for a couple of miles and when I spotted a bench ahead I decided I needed a rest.

I sat down and shut my eyes and the world closed in and swirled. Dizzy feelings welled up and I snapped them back open. I started counting breaths. one, two, three, four, one, ... The dizziness slowed and I watched the air come through my mouth and into my lungs. ... three, four... A coyote ghosted along the river in front of me, panting loudly and moving like the wind. I couldn't hear his feet. He glided out of sight.

one, two, ... A second coyote slid past, no sound of feet. ...four... time passed, then a third and fourth, then two more.

More breaths, and slowly a coyote ambled back, sniffing the air and twitching his ears. He stopped for a moment, sensing something wrong, then silently walked away.

I sat a moment longer, breathing in, breathing out, then rose without thought. I drifted through the dark to my car and beyond, floating homeward till the city made everything concrete.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great writing! Brought up clear mental images.
    www.wdslibrary.com

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger whispers said…

    i came over to check out your blog after you commented on mine. (thanks for the support). I began to read, and then couldn't stop. your imagery is wonderful, your words touched my heart. your connection to the lunar was another connection for me. i look forward to reading more.

     
  • At 9:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i always enjoy coming to this blog. the writing is always so descriptive & personal. i always feel like you are on a cusp of discovery.

    alice

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Anonymous - thank you

    Hi Cris - wow, what kind words. Isn't lunacy fun! I love that you have a lunar connection. I feel like somehow or other it will lead me where I need to be. Thanks!

    Dave - OK?

    Hello Alice - I feel the tension you speak of, and I hope you are right. It feels like their is the slightest membrane keeping me from something and if I can just do the right thing I will be able to break through. Thank you so much for reading my blog and commenting. MW

     

Post a Comment

<< Home