Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

February Fog



Last night I walked in an easy isolated park with a little waterfall and miles of tree covered rolling hills. It was challenging only in that the once deep snow was melting and the trail was slippery. I fell twice, once sliding into a tiny ravine that sucked me in and wouldn't let me out. I felt like the poster child for Medic Alert.

It was absolutely silent except for the rare hoot of owls and a chorus of coyotes at the very beginning of my walk. Darkness was complete - I saw artificial light only twice in three hours of walking. It is just above freezing here for the first time in quite a while and I was too hot for most of my hike, then my fever caught up with me and I started to feel very cold and somewhat faint. The last two miles to my car were made with odd little flashes of light and dark patches swimming across my vision. Not really what I'm looking for in these dark walks.

This silly cold is robbing me of much of my joy. February is starting out gray inside and out and I feel a desperate need for something sudden and exciting to enter my life.

I know intellectually that I will start to feel better and the sun will be out in not too long a time, but it seems an eternity when all is buried in fog.

Sickness makes writing difficult and so I tried my hand at redesigning my blog. I'm lacking talent or maybe sickness makes that impossible as well, and I'm faced with failure.

My vision was to have the top be a photo, composited photo, or drawing of a frozen lake with a dimly lit hillside rising up from the far side. On the hillside a snow covered trail would cut across diagonally. On the left would be a full moon just kissing the horizon with the silhouette of a bare tree against it. The tree would be casting a shadow across the lake and the shadow of the branches would touch the bottom of the photo. There would be another silhouette tree on the right, again with shadow branches crossing the lake.

I would like the shadow tangle of branches to continue down the sides of my blog in a sort of spiderwebby fashion. I'm guessing a single repeated tile would give me the effect I want.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm talking about. I took four years of art classes in high school and realized I can sketch something I can see and I love throwing pots, but I'm not good at much else.

Is there anyone out there who can make my vision a reality?


4 Comments:

  • At 9:29 AM, Blogger The Narcissist said…

    I wish I could help you, but I had to seek out the professionals as I am completely hopeless at this sort of thing, but you didn't ask who couldn't help you, so I really commented to say that I like that banner that you have at the bottom of the post...

     
  • At 11:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you feel better soon. Sometimes, being sick, is your body's way of telling you to slow down and maybe, evaluate something you have been avoiding.

    ~Alice

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Blogger Miss Behaving [badly] said…

    hi there

    my name is heroinegirl, whereabouts is my link?
    did you wish to play in the auctions??
    please email :)

     
  • At 5:46 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Hi Rebecca - I'm not sure why, but I'm still resisting hiring the professionals. I am taking your complement to heart, and I will use the banner at the bottom of the post. Thank you!

    Hi Alice - Good advice. I've been thinking a lot about the "something you've been avoiding" statement. If you look at what I've been posting lately it looks like I'm dancing around something, and it feels that way to me. Wonderful and helpful insight. Thank you.

    Hi Josse - Thank you for the complement on the photo. It's nice to know others feel the beauty of the prairies...

    mw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home