Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Friday, December 05, 2008

What I like about you

A couple weeks ago, my son asked if he could have a piece of his birthday cake, and I replied "Only if you eat a healthy dinner and have a good attitude". His attitude was marvelous, and the dinner was as healthy as I could make it, and of course he forgot his birthday cake and settled in to playing with his transformers while I cleaned up.

I settled in with a book on the couch, listening to his amazing repertoire of battle sounds and the growly voices of transformers come to life, and then, after a moment of quiet he came pounding over and with a leap he was standing next to me on the couch "Do you remember what I would like?", he queried. I replied "I do... do you remember what I *always* like?".

In the same tone of my answer came "I do..." and then he was in my arms for a big hug, and as I held him there, I said "There are many things I like about you, and I want to tell you two of them". I could feel his body change a little and I knew he was listening. "First, I like how even though you are strong and muscular, you are also incredibly snuggly", and I tightened my hug and gave his hair a kiss. "Second, I like how you come up with amazing things for your transformers to do, and I like how you can give them voices and make so many different cool sounds".

I could feel a happy wiggle, and felt wonderfully happy myself, and suddenly I felt him bunch up and he said "One thing I like about me is that I'm FAST!" and he jumped up and started to run. When he hit the wood part of the floor in his socks, he slipped and fell with a huge crash, and I winced to see it. For a moment after impact he was taut, and then I saw him relax and he eased down flat on his back - I heard him say as he looked at the ceiling, in a calm, musing tone "Another thing I like about me, is that I'm incredibly tough...", and he lay there for a while, for all the world looking as if that was where he wanted to be.

I like that I can tell him things I like about him, and I like even more that he can find things in himself to be proud of, even after he's experienced a fall. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful son...

19 Comments:

  • At 6:46 AM, Blogger MaR said…

    Wonderful. Enjoy your moments with him, kids grow up way too fast! NetChick sent me your way, have a wonderful weekend.

     
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger Panthergirl said…

    LOL... that's a great story. And what a resilient kid!

    Here via NetChick...

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    These will go a long long way in building a confident adult and a foundation between you. I know because I had a similiar relationship with my sons and they have grown into amazing young men.

     
  • At 11:43 AM, Blogger ShannonW said…

    Such a great moment.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger Monica said…

    What a sweet post. PS. NetChick sent me.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey MW! :) What a great post... Thanks for sharing that moment with us.

    I sent myself by today... :) Thanks for playing the new Meet & Greet at my blog!

     
  • At 1:43 PM, Blogger Tawcan said…

    Haha I fell a few times like that while trying to run fast on wood floor while wearing socks. Kids will learn fast though. :)

    Here via Tanya.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Tanya sent me to say that was a wonderful moment with your son. Thank you for sharing it with us...

     
  • At 5:28 AM, Blogger sage said…

    What a lovely post--and what a great kid you have there, I love those moments with children. Here from Michelle... no, make that Netchick/Tanya. I'm thankful for the smile your post brought to me.

     
  • At 1:04 PM, Blogger Star said…

    You are truly blessed. He sounds a lot like my grandson, who is nto Transformers and into being incredibly fast. Net Chick sent me. Nice to meeet you.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said…

    That's an awesome story. As the father of three (now grown) sons, I can relate and although there have been many, many bumps in the road over the years, we have endured. In fact, my youngest, at 19, gave me that feeling you described just last night.

    Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday, and of course I add...

    Tanya sent me.

     
  • At 4:26 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    here from netchick.
    And I'm so glad I came.

    In this world there is so much thats wrong.

    In your post today, there was so much that was right.

    Thanks for making me smile!

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger David Edward said…

    you sound like a terrific dad, I am so glad that you and your son enjoy each other.
    thanks for the visit

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Blogger Bobkat said…

    He sounds like a great kid with a good sense of humour. It'll stand him in good stead.

    Netchick sent me to say hi!

     
  • At 6:10 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Mar - thank you, and I agree. I can't believe how big my son has gotten. I'm really thankful I'm not aging at the same rate :)...

    panthergirl - he is resilient. I hadn't thought of that aspect - thanks!

    colleen - I'm happy to hear that you have amazing sons, and that you've had such a rewarding relationship with them. Isn't it wonderful!

    Shannon and Monica - thank you!

    Tanya - how cool that you are playing your M&G. It makes me sorta wiggly :)

    Tawcan - my parents would have killed me if I wore socks without shoes, so I never had that experience. Of course, I never wore shoes, so I had all sorts of different experiences to learn from - thanks for the comment!

     
  • At 6:24 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Sara - thank you for the compliment and I agree - he is a wonderful kid!

    Sage - Thank you. I looked at your profile and notice we have a lot of commonalities - I'll have to check out your blog in depth soon.

    Star - hey, it's nice to meet you. I hadn't really thought that I might get to repeat this experience with grandchildren. Very cool. Thanks!

    Mr. Althouse - Your photo looks way too young to have grown kids - thank you for the comment, and it's good to know that the connection with your kids has stayed strong...

    Pamela - your comment really made me feel good, thank you!

    David - it's hard for me to imagine me being a wonderful dad - most of the time I feel like I'm just surviving. I enjoy your blog, and thank you for commenting.

    Bobkat - his musing was intended to be funny, and he's finally learned enough about humor to know how to stage it. It really was hilarious, aside from the fall... Thank you!

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger Racheal Tan said…

    this is so touched. u've a great kid and great future

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Blogger craziequeen said…

    Hi mw - here from Netchick again :-)

    What a cracking boy you have there - may he be snuggly for many, many years to come :-)

    And, that he remains so sensible too!

    cq

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    Tanya sent me tonight, but you know your blog is already a happy reading habit for me!

    I am always struck by the reverent tone you use when writing about your son. Truly a sign of an amazing kid...and an amazing parent.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home