Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sleeping with the moon

I don't pay much attention to the calendar and only note the days as to whether I have my son or not, but I do pay attention to the sky, and I was delighted to see the full moon on my drive in this morning. Three full moons ago I turned a corner, finally letting go of Lynnea and turning towards a life without the endless pain.

It started with a weekend on the far side of Wisconsin with my cousin Reb - her divorce from Henry had been final for several months then, and it was the first chance we'd had to spend some time together. Talking on the phone with her is fun, but I think it puts her into some sort of literate clever part of her brain, and it never feels very intimate to me.

Reb and I are close and always have been, though sometimes months and maybe years go by without us really opening up to each other. When the times come, they are deep and only slightly guarded, more so on her part than mine. I always suspected that, and this weekend she mentioned that she kept barriers up from me, which makes me a little sad but I suspect I understand.

The weather was gray and weepy, and Reb wisely chose for us to meet near Lake Michigan. Our first several hours together were spent walking the beach in the rain with the surf hissing and pounding and the gulls wheeling and calling lonely.

It was exactly right and Reb and I walked together in the flow, voice, mood, and motion a part of the waves and sand and wind.

Come evening we found a motel and sat talking till 6 in the morning, and after a short sleep we had an early lunch and then another long walk on the beach in a world turned remarkably wild and cold. The waves were playful and caught my feet several times though I tried to avoid them - such a silly game of tag, and such a joy to play.

The drive home was pure flow - endless long prairie and corn fields and rainy gray.

The day after dawned cold and bright and I realized it was my day for Glacial Lakes, a place of profound power and peace for me, and so I left work a bit early and drove there, arriving just before six. I ritualistically chose my clothes - blue shirt and utterly loose and breezy navy shorts. My walk wound up steep glacial kames and down into blue water filled hollows - the slant lit grass was blue and black and endless gold graced by hawks tracing the tight contours of land and I walked well and strong and long.

Just as the sun had set behind an enormous mound of grass covered hill, a trio of deer - buck, doe, and yearling - sprinted up and into the gold swirl corona of light. They leaped right, left, and into the sun, silhouettes of joy and grace, and I cried in grateful abandon.

Later I, still tracing contours and following a line of forest, rounded a corner and found the full moon huge and yellow floating over a hillside golden with the last light of the day, and I laughed in glee. I talked to the moon, intending a wish, but instead offered my love to the moon, then in gusts of silly happiness, I offered to make love to the moon, and there, embraced by trees and grass and the last calls of the day, I found a playful wildness dancing with me and I surrendered to the moment, unbridled and trustingly free.

Later, much later, after the stars had wheeled a bit and more miles had been traversed in darkness, I saw my car, still a long hook of trail away and tucked in a hollow, and I stopped and again looked to the moon, now more austere and silver bright. I looked long, then gathered up my light and gave it to the moon, and then from deep in me, unbidden but true, I made a wish that my far off friend might feel that light...

20 Comments:

  • At 5:52 AM, Blogger MaR said…

    That was lovely. I saw the full moon last night too, it was mesmerizing.
    I live in the Northern hemisphere but my family is in the Southern one so whenever there's a romantic moon shining over us, I like to think we are looking at the same one...it's a comforting feeling!
    NetChick sent me to say hello! enjoy your weekend :)

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Tyler Ingram said…

    Hello! NetChick sent me!

    Sounds like a bot post doesn't it? lol I took a photo of the moon yesterday actually, didn't realize it was full.

     
  • At 2:08 PM, Blogger Sara said…

    Hello, NetChick sent me to say that was a lovely post - and beautiful photo of the moon.

    Enjoy your weekend!

     
  • At 12:03 AM, Blogger flleenie said…

    Awesome post...Netchick sent me...

     
  • At 6:14 AM, Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said…

    I saw a clear full moon last night. You reminded me of it.

    NetChick sent me here.

     
  • At 3:52 PM, Blogger Bobkat said…

    The light from a full moon is somehow magical :) You can bathe in it.

    Netchick sent me to say hi.

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Blogger Man Named Kim said…

    flow, flow...seems much of your desire. glad you are finding some.

    Namaste'

    NetChick says HI!

     
  • At 9:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi MW! I sent myself here :)

    I love talking the night through when the conversation is great...

    Have an awesome Sunday!

     
  • At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow, you write beautifully.

    netchick sent me :)

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are a fantastic writer.

    By the way, Netchick sent me. :)

     
  • At 5:45 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    That was a very nice post. I have always enjoyed staring at the full moon especially if I am out in the country and away from all the "city lights"

    Net chick sent me.

     
  • At 7:24 AM, Blogger Martha said…

    Beautiful post! Thanks for stopping by :-)

     
  • At 5:25 PM, Blogger Olyal said…

    A beautiful photo and a beautiful post to match!
    Your writing is so descriptive that I can close my eyes and imagine that I'm there even though I'm half a world away!
    Netchick sent me!

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    Damn, can you write! I could practically see the landscape through your words. You have a powerful gift, and I'm so happy to see you using it here once more. How lucky we all are!

     
  • At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the way you value your friendships and make time for those you care about.

    I read that it was the biggest moon in 15 years. I sadly missed it. Too cloudy here I think.

    You were a Net chick pick.

     
  • At 12:19 PM, Blogger David Edward said…

    beautiful writing

     
  • At 7:35 PM, Blogger Rick (Ratty) said…

    Great story! I really like the emotional way that you write, and that photo of the scene with the moon was excellent.

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Blogger mw said…

    Mar - that is cool that you share the moon with folks in the southern hemisphere - what a beautiful thought!

    Tyler - that's pretty funny :)

    Sara, fleenie, and Captain P - thank you for your comment.

    Bob-kat - exactly!

    Kim - you are right, when I am on my path and in the flow, I feel utterly as I should. I appreciate the observation and comment - thanks!

    Hi Tanya - I am graced by your presence, and thankful for your comment as well as your blog. Thank you for stopping by!

    Nancy, Thomas, David and Martha - thank you for your comments and praise. I'm still trying to find my voice again, and I can't tell you how helpful you've been.

    Mike - I agree about city lights, as well as staring at the moon. It really is amazing.

    Olyal - thank you for the complement - I love that it came from half a world away!

    Carmi - thank you so much, and I'm glad to be back. I'm really happy you are still around the blogosphere!

    colleen - thank you! I didn't know it was the biggest full moon - I'm glad to know that - it was spectacular.

     
  • At 6:16 AM, Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said…

    Fantastic picture and a FABULOUS Journey....I missed the Moon....But I certainly love your description of making love to the moon...! You are a very brave person to do that Hike!
    Netchick sent me this morning....!

     
  • At 8:38 AM, Blogger David Edward said…

    i enjoy re reading some of your posts, they are filled with strong images and powerful emotions.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home