Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Friday, February 13, 2009

Silent light

Mike writes often about communication on his blog The 25 Year Plan. I've been mulling over his recent posts on my walks, pondering his ponderings about what it takes to write and how to communicate effectively - not just meaning, but feeling as well.

My walk last night was physically rough. Several days ago we had a heavy rain that fell on top of all the snow, followed by a couple of above freezing days, then last night the temperature dropped and everywhere the water formed a hard surface of rock hard ice. Walking on sheet ice along steep hills required crampons and a heavy stomp with every step.

At first I distracted myself with thoughts about communicating, then somewhere I simply went away. I came to know that the low clouds in the dark night weren't featureless, they had a texture of pearl light curling round grey black softness, that the trees were moving gently and the wind was whispering the slightest of sounds, that a bird in a softly sighing pine was adjusting his wings in his sleep. I walked in complete inner silence, regarding without remarking.

When finally I came back to the world of thought, I realized that being open to the messages that are everywhere is another aspect of communication. That being able to resonate with all that is going on around you, to become a part of the surroundings, is important to true understanding.

For me, this state of openness and communion is what I seem to be always seeking, whether talking with my son, or by myself in the wild, or even while making love - maybe especially while making love.

I find myself wondering - do the rest of you have similar needs for deep understanding and connection? I would truly appreciate any thoughts you might have to share on the topic, as well as any sorts of details you might share about how you satisfy those needs. Thanks!

10 Comments:

  • At 2:04 PM, Blogger craziequeen said…

    hey mw - its sights just like your picture that stir deep thoughts in my head.

    I don't tend to mull much as bad thoughts tend to creep in, I try and keep my thoughts outward looking and not inward-looking.

    :-)

    I'm very glad Netchick sent me to say hello tonight [waves virtual champagne glass]

    cq

     
  • At 3:39 PM, Blogger Jennifer Priest Personal Coach said…

    Hi MW Netchick sent me to say hello,

    I would say a great many of us also do this. Communion is to me another form of communication. We have in some ways become much too pathological in Western society and believe we have to "communicate" verbally to know we are being heard.

    There are many forms of speaking and listening. Verbalizing is just one way.

     
  • At 4:21 PM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said…

    First, thanks for the mention - I am flattered. I must say, too, that I find your blog and the insights it hosts to be enlightening.

    And this post is a perfect example. Your style is not only highly descriptive, but it does so in a way that comes off as sincere, not sentimental. But it's more than just the style, the substance here absolutely resonates with me. Although I have never been (and probably won't ever be) able to adequately or, perhaps completely demystify that connection I feel with the universe, it does not mean I will stop seeking.

    And it is that process of discovery that makes it all worthwhile.

    Mike

     
  • At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think you communicate similiar to the the way I do. Intuitively. I use writing to process what I'm learning and trying to understand. Life like an ongoing conversation for me. I love to ponder deeply even though the places it brings me don't always feel reassuring. I follow what has energy for me, good or bad.

    Of course, unless I'm doing a story for the paper, and then I get background facts, some quotes and good photos.

     
  • At 5:05 PM, Blogger Bobkat said…

    I agree. Communication is so much more than can be conveyed through words alone. Some of the most expressive moments I have had have been in moments of silence such as yu describe.

    Netchick sent me over for my regular visit :)

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Blogger Michael K. Althouse said…

    FYI: I added you to my blogroll.

    Mike

     
  • At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Usually when I am out for a walk that my mind wanders as I look at the beautiful sceneries around me. Sometimes it creates inspirations that I jot down immediately on some of my notes.

     
  • At 4:32 PM, Blogger David Edward said…

    i am so glad for my therapist, there is deep understanding. for connection I like to work with 110v wires Hot and once in a while
    I get connected to Hoover dam....

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger carmilevy said…

    I think we all need some way to reconnect - with ourselves, with the world around us, with whatever brings us peace. To allow myself the freedom to do just that, I like to carve out snippets of time wherever I can. Whether it's early in the morning before the house wakes up, or just before dinner when I get to take the bike out for a quick blast through the country, I revel in this alone-time, as it recharges my batteries and puts everything in perspective.

    Thank you for this thoughtful entry and question. I need to thank Tanya for asking me to drop in. As always, I came away enlightened.

     
  • At 2:09 AM, Blogger Snaggle Tooth said…

    I always need natural surroundings to feel peace, n in the woods or at the edge of the sea it's easiest to feel directly connected as part of the creation. The man-made scenery somehow seems a step removed from that.

    I often feel I'm directly communicating with the universe. At night with the stars, by day with the Sun, to me it's all a connection to the Creator.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home