Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Beware of falling DJ's




Between Jean and Karen I started a little company to do DJ work for high schools and parties. My intent was to make it a big thing but that never happened. At any rate...

I was DJ'ing a dance at the high school I had graduated from. I always insisted that the lights be turned way down (as in OFF) which made me a great hero to all the horny kids. My rationale was that part of my 'act' was the light show, which was a bunch of colored light boxes, blacklights, and strobes. I'd built a little hand made circuit that allowed me to 'sync' the boxes with the beat of the music and I was darn proud of my light show.

I had some rocking long song going and had dropped the headphones to watch the kids jumping off the stage and into the arms of their friends. The strobes were blinking at a frenzy inducing 14 beats per second, which is slow enough that there are noticeable gaps when people are moving quickly enough.

Pretty soon it occurred to me that I wanted to be caught by my adoring public and I moved to the edge of the stage and leaped.

<blink>

The crowd is thickly gathered with arms outstretched

<blink>

I'm soaring upwards!

<blink>

The crowd thins

<blink>

The crowd parts

<blink>

Splat! I gracelessly slap into the floor

<blink>

The crowd dances back

<blink>

I writhe through the trampling herd

<blink>

I reached my DJ chair and turned off the strobes. With a scratch of the needle I ended the long rocking song and replaced it with a sad one about betrayal.

. . . .

. . . .

I have been trying for a week to come up with a good pithy moral to this story, but I've gotten stuck playing with the aphorism "Look before you leap" which doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

Anybody have any ideas?

9 Comments:

  • At 1:49 PM, Blogger The Narcissist said…

    Ooooh, toughy. How 'bout...

    Oh, never mind. I'm just as stuck as you are.

     
  • At 8:15 PM, Blogger mw said…

    Hi Rebecca,

    That made me laugh out loud - thanks!

    mw

     
  • At 11:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    doh...that was a definite ouchie! when you fly make sure you carry a parachute? heh, that was pretty bad. at least, i tried? lol

     
  • At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i was too flustered & forgot to leave my name.

    ~alice

     
  • At 3:21 AM, Blogger K said…

    hilarious. what song was it?

     
  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Hobbes said…

    Ohhhh! Sorry. That's celebrity for you. One minute you're on top of the world, the next, crawling on the floor of your high school gym.

     
  • At 1:34 PM, Blogger Happy and Blue 2 said…

    "A bird in the hands is worth two on the floor"...some English guy I think

    Good story.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger mw said…

    I can't believe I'm answering my own question, and with a horrible pun yet...

    You've heard the phrase 'Drinking and driving don't mix?'.

    My painful punfull conclusion to this story is "Blinking and diving don't mix...".

    Sorry!
    mw

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Blogger mw said…

    Hi Alice, I liked the combination of your two comments - very funny! I hope all is well with you.

    k - I've been trying to remember the songs, and they've escaped me. Alcohol played no small part in my DJ'ing days as I was and am shy around crowds. I think that memory is gone.

    Pansi and Happy - Thank you for stopping by and trying to put a better end to the story. Not an easy task!

    Thank you all for the comments,
    MW

     

Post a Comment

<< Home