Mystic Writer

Peeking out to see if there is a real world out there...

Saturday, November 27, 2004

Fuzzball



A while back, while detailing some of the reasons that I believe I am ruled by fate, I stated I didn't have a clue about fate's mechanism. While it is true that I don't have a clue, I do have a theory...

I think the universe is completely static, with the exception of the thing we call 'consciousness' or maybe 'soul'. At every moment in time, every possible path you can take already exists.

This is analogous to driving along a road and coming to an intersection. Your being at the intersection doesn't spontaneously generate the existing roads, they exist independently of you. You do have the choice of which road to take, and this will ultimately govern all your future choices.

It wouldn't surprise me if this happened at the quantum level, where every possibly interaction outcome exists at differing levels of probability. It also isn't relevant to my discussion of fate, so I'll just stop digressing now.

If you assume that all possible 'future' paths already exist at the point that you are deciding which path to take, then it becomes theoretically possible that you can somehow 'sense' the desirability of each path and choose the one that will get you where you want to go, much like being at the intersection in the road in my earlier example. The more you know about the branching 'paths', the more likely you are to get where you want to be.

I think this is why fate seems to be playing such games with me. I think that somehow a part of me can sense the 'directions' of the paths available to me, and that part is leading me to all the extremely unlikely events that have become a part of my life.

I'm now trying to 'enhance' the process by paying more attention to the subtle little feelings I have when I'm at a decision point. Whatever part it is (assuming it exists), does not communicate very directly and sometimes my brain overrides my gut feeling. I've come to believe that when this happens I usually end up unhappy with the outcome.

This is a pretty unfleshed out theory at present. What do you think? Does anyone know of anything that supports it?

4 Comments:

  • At 6:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    All I really know is that I'm along for the ride... well I'm the driver too... well mostly I'm just trying to enjoy it.

    Just a BE visitor saying hi.

    --Jon Langdon
    http://jonlangdon.blogspot.com

     
  • At 6:12 AM, Blogger Jon Langdon said…

    All I really know is that I'm along for the ride... well I'm the driver too... well mostly I'm just trying to enjoy it.

    Just a BE visitor saying hi.

    --Jon Langdon
    http://jonlangdon.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:39 AM, Blogger Nicky said…

    Just delving deeper into your blog and I found this:

    "you can somehow 'sense' the desirability of each path and choose the one that will get you where you want to go, much like being at the intersection in the road in my earlier example. The more you know about the branching 'paths', the more likely you are to get where you want to be."

    I agree to a certain extent that the more you know about something the easier it is to make a decision. However sometimes this isn't possible/practical and anyway the best indicator I think we have are our "gut feelings" - these feelings transcend logic and rational thought. It is better to make decisions based on what feels right even if we are not sure how it is going to pan out and there may be no logical reason for taking that course of action other than it resonates strongly. A rule I try to follow is: if it resonates move towards it, if it doesn't leave it alone. If I ignore those feelings then usually I get myself into trouble and wish I had listened to that "little voice of truth" deep inside that knows better than my rational conscious mind does.

     
  • At 7:35 AM, Blogger David Edward said…

    I think the mind is powerful and tricky, whereas the spirit is more consistent. Putting our mind to work to accomplish our spiritual goals is a worthy task.
    I can not trust fate, I must trust God, and myself to follow His leading.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home